|Coconut Figgy Energy Bombs|
Since having to take a major step away from exercise for a few months (a massively gargantuan big deal for me), I know that this missing piece is the size and shape of a squat rack and the hole plummets the depths of potentially very low self esteem. The pull up bar was like an extension of my limb - I yearn for it. And I long for that old sense of strength and fitness that arms you with the energy and positivity to face any day ahead.
To combat the current unavoidable break from my daily dose of heavy lifting induced endorphins, I have turned to an equally Primal form of healthful movement - the humble walk.
I pull on my old trainers, strap on a GPS and listen to my podcasts. I thought I'd hate it; thought I'd find it pensionably dull. But I enjoy the time alone, focusing singlemindedly on the topic of the day's chosen download. The air is fresh. There is no obligation to engage in reluctant chit chat. There are no distractions for that 1 hour of time.
Still, when I came in from the snow, the urge to make these was continuing to nag me, albeit less vociferously and with somewhat less urgency.
Coconut Figgy Energy Bombs
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free, Nut-free
Makes 20-22 balls
125g unsweetened dessicated coconut
75g sunflower seeds
150g dried unsweetened figs
2tbsp coconut oil
1tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1tbsp coconut milk, if needed
1. Place all ingredients into a food processor and blitz until it has combined to form a rough, sticky dough. It shouldn't be too wet, but sticky enough that it can be rolled into balls. Add the coconut milk if it is too crumbly.
2. Line a baking sheet with cling film or baking parchment, or use a silicone baking sheet.
3. Remove the blade from the food processor and, using hands, roll the mixture into firm balls, placing each one on the parchment.
4. Place the tray of balls in the freezer until firm.
5. Transfer to an airtight container for storage in the fridge or, if you don't plan to eat them in a hurry, store in the freezer until energy hit is required (you may need to remove from freezer for a few minutes before eating as they will be quite hard).