|Coconut Cinnamon Banana Loaf topped with banana slices|
|Coconut Cinnamon Banana Loaf|
Coconut Cinnamon Banana Loaf
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free, Nut-free
Makes 1 loaf
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup coconut milk
5 medium eggs (or 4 large)
1 large or 2 smaller ripe bananas, mashed
Optional - 1/4 cup of either: sunflower seeds (beware these may turn vibrant green when cooked), pumpkin seeds, seed mix, coconut flakes, chocolate chips (I have not used the latter but can't imagine it not working!). In the pic above I topped with slices of fresh banana that caramelise while baking.
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius (350 degrees farenheit) and line a loaf tin with baking parchment.
2. Mix together the wet ingredients - coconut oil, coconut milk, vanilla extract, eggs and banana.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients - coconut flour, dessicated coconut, bicarb of soda and cinnamon.
4. Combine the wet with the dry and add any optional extras stirring well for even distribution.
5. The mixture should be quite thick. If it appears too wet add a tsp of coconut flour at a time to thicken it up.
6. Transfer to the lined loaf tin and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour, or until firm to the touch and a skewer in the centre comes out clean. It does firm up slightly more when cool so don't overbake otherwise the loaf will be very dry.
7. Allow to cool on a cooling rack before slicing.
8. This is lovely warm with nut butter. I tend to keep this wrapped in parchment and in a sealed container in the fridge as it is quite a moist cake and I'm not sure if it keeps for as long unrefrigerated.
This slice is from a loaf which had coconut flakes added and a heavy handed dose of cinnamon!
** I have a fan assisted oven which is hotter than a conventional oven so you may need to ramp your oven temp up by 10 deg celsius
** For those just starting to transition to no/lower sugar intake try adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup honey for more sweetness. Since completing the 21 DSD (21 day sugar detox) I find even a little sweetness sufficient. Plus excessive sugar causes immense discomfort of bloating and stomach cramps for me so I mostly try to steer clear.