This recipe recycles leftover meatloaf, into a low maintenance, minimal effort second supper.
|One Pan Meatloaf Stuffed Roast Squash with Asparagus|
Meatloaf is a very lazy dinner menu option - literally mix 500g of minced pork (or chicken or turkey or a mix) with a few tablespoons of spices of choice (my favourites include 1tbsp cumin and 1tbsp ground coriander, but Chinese 5 spice, oregano, basil, etc all work well), a tsp of garlic powder and onion powder, an egg to bind and a tbsp of coconut flour to add firmness and plenty of salt and pepper.
Press firmly and neatly into a loaf tin and bake at 175 degrees celsius for about 45mins-1hr or until cooked through.
Delicious add-ins to the meatloaf mix are:
- cooked spinach (make sure to squeeze out all the liquid before adding to the meatloaf mix)
- pan fried chopped mushrooms (again, cook until liquid evaporated)
- grated squash or carrots (squeeze out liquid)
- coconut aminos and thai fish sauce with a handful of chopped bamboo shoots and water chestnuts (reduce salt accordingly)
I have made this using Red Kuri squash (aka Hokkaido squash) here, which has a delicated chestnut flavour, but any similar sized squash eg Acorn squash, would be perfectly suitable.
Meatloaf Stuffed Roast Squash
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free, Nut-free
1 red kuri squash, washed, halved and deseeded
2-3 cups of leftover cooked meatloaf
250g asparagus spears, woody ends removed
2 tbsp olive oil
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (360 degrees farenheit).
2. Rub cut-side of squash with a little olive and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Bake squash cut side down in a baking dish in preheated oven for approx 45mins (a larger squash may require longer).
4. Remove from oven. Arrange asparagus spears on base of baking dish, drizzle over remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Lay cooked squash cut-side up on top of asparagus and fill cavities evenly with meatloaf.
6. Return to oven for 15-20mins or until top of meatloaf starts to brown and aspargus is cooked.
7. Serve immediately.