Whole Orange and Goji Berry Hot Cross Buns (Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free, Refined Sugar-free)
|Whole Orange and Goji Berry Hot Cross Buns|
I don't add any additional sweetener when it is just for my family as the goji berries, orange and banana provide ample natural sweetness. This may not be sweet enough for many so adjust honey/ maple syrup to personal preference.
Whole Orange and Goji Berry Hot Cross Buns
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Nut-free, Refined Sugar-free
Makes a dozen
1 whole medium thin-skinned orange, washed and quartered (approx 175g)
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup arrowroot flour
1 tsp mixed spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup unsweetened goji berries
Optional: 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
Optional: switch the goji berries for raisins for a more traditional HCB or add a twist with choc chips
For the crosses:
1 tbsp coconut flour
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees celsius, 350 degrees farenheit.
2. Line a baking sheet with silicone muffin cases or grease a muffin tray with coconut oil.
3. Add orange to food processor (remove any visible pips) and blitz until pulp.
4. Add banana and combine.
5. Add coconut flour, arrowroot flour, mixed spice, cinnamon, vanilla, salt and bicarb of soda (and honey/ maple syrup if using) and combine.
6. Add eggs and process until well combined.
7. Add bicarb of soda and process once more until thoroughly combined.
8. Stir through the goji berries (do not process as they should stay whole in the mix).
9. Spoon equally across the 12 muffin cases. An icecream scoop gives a round finish otherwise smooth the tops with a spoon.
10. Very gradually add a few drops of water at a time to the tbsp of coconut flour until a paste forms. Then either transfer the paste to a piping bag to pipe a cross on each bun or just use the tip of a table knife to apply!
12. Leave to cool slightly before turning each bun out of its case and cooling fully on a cooling rack.
13. Serve warm with a smear of coconut oil or glaze the tops with a mix of orange juice, maple syrup and water gently heated.