Skip to main content

Sweet Potato and Sardine Fish Cakes with Yogurt Dip

I made a new friend. She likes to be stroked and sits on my doorstep calling for me to come out to play. Some days she sits by my kitchen window watching intently while I tackle various kitchen chores. Some days she even tries to squeeze past my legs at the front door when I'm on my way out and I have to give her a stern talking to about respecting boundaries! My friend is a cat. Then two weeks after her first visit and daily presence, she abruptly stopped visiting. I miss her. These sardine fish cakes are an ode to my fleeting feline friendship.

Sweet Potato and Sardine Fish Cakes with Yogurt Dip

Serve as a light lunch alongside a big salad, as a starter or just as a filling snack between meals.


Sweet Potato and Sardine Fish Cakes with Yogurt Dip
Grain-free, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined Sugar-free, Nut-free
Makes 4 cakes (serves 2 as a starter or light lunch)


Ingredients:
Fishcakes:
175g (approx 1 cup) mashed sweet potato flesh (microwave a medium sweet potato, peel and mash)
1 tin (90g drained) unsalted sardines, drained and mashed with a fork
handful (5g) fresh parsley, chopped
1 medium egg
1/2 tbsp coconut flour (optional - only if mixture too wet)
1/2-1 tsp chilli flakes (to preference)
1/4 tsp dried onion powder
sea salt and fresh ground black pepper

Dip:
1/2 cup (125ml) unsweetened coconut yogurt (or Greek yogurt if dairy-tolerant)
1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes
1 tbsp lemon juice (approx 1/4 lemon)
pinch of sea salt


Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius (356 degrees farenheit) and line a baking sheet with parchment (or lightly grease with coconut oil).
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine mashed sweet potato, sardines, egg, onion powder, parsley and chilli flakes.
3. Add coconut flour if needed to firm the mixture and season well with salt and pepper. Combine well.
4. Divide mixture into 4 and shape into patties, laying them well spaced apart on prepared baking sheet.
5. Bake in preheated oven for approx 25mins, fliiping the fish cakes over after approx 15mins to brown both sides.
6. While fish cakes are baking, combine dip ingredients in a small bowl, season with salt to taste.
7. Serve fish cakes alongside the dip and a random mixed salad of choice - I threw together a handful of rocket, sliced radishes and some steamed asparagus tips that I foraged from my fridge.


Comments

  1. If more people that write articles really concerned themselves with writing great content like you, more readers would be interested in their writings. Thank you for caring about your content. خبز برجر بطاطس

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, cool post. I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real hard work to make a great article… but I put things off too much and never seem to get started. Thanks though. خبز برقر

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment